Sunday, February 24, 2013

Big Red - Part Two


So I'm sitting in the back seat of a car with my three intoxicated new friends, in the middle of an Alaskan snowstorm, on a Thursday evening, wondering what in the world I have gotten myself into. Tim Hughes, my supervisor, is driving his wife's new car, Dane has had "Way too much to drink" and is sitting in the
front passenger seat, I am sitting behind him, and Ron is sitting to my left. Dane says he is feeling very warm and decides to open the window a crack to let in some cool air. I am feeling a little down at this point. Is this what the next three years is going to be like? I am staring out the window to my right watching the endless snow stream by in the cold, black, Fairbanks night and then I notice streaks of foamy water coating the outside of the window and I start to feel little drops of cold water hitting my face. I thought, "Oh great, snow and rain too?" What kind of place is this? But this wasn't rain. It smelled of beer and fish. I looked toward Dane and noticed the he was arching his neck upward toward the crack at the top where he rolled down the window. OMG! He was puking his overindulgence all over the car! It all didn't quite make it through the crack and because when you open one window of a vehicle at high speed, you create a miniature whirlwind inside the cabin. So, tonight's dinner of halibut and beer formed a small tornado inside the car where we all shared the love. I said, "Tim, pull over! Dane is puking!" Tim looks around, sees this and says "Holy shit!" He hits the brakes, cranked the wheel hard to the right, and stops along the shoulder. Dane opens the door, and merely spits out a small chunk of halibut. I guess he was finished with the main event. The rest of us were
feeling angry and funky at the same time. I looked at my new Air Force jacket that I bought at graduation. Patches and emblems now christened by fillet-o-Dane and Heinekin. Then I looked up an the new swirl design in the ceiling the beer had made. I looked at Dane with disgust, he looked at me, then looked at the pretty new pattern on the ceiling and said, "Hey, check it out." At that point, I busrt into laughter. I just gave in to the fact this had happened, there wasn't anything I could do about it, and it was actually pretty funny. Then I said, "You're paying to have this coat cleaned." (see my photos section to see the coat.)

Stay tuned for part three where we now have to figure out how to get every body home and Ron say's he knows how to get past the security guards at the entrance to the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment